Garganey In Florida?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Vincent Lucas on 15:59:31 11/21/11

I just saw this on the net:

From: kftracey@VERIZON.NET
Subject: [BIRDWG01] Duck ID, Garganey?
Date: November 21, 2011 4:37:05 PM EST
To: BIRDWG01@LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU

Hello,

On 11/14/11, I photographed these two Blue-winged Teal size ducks right after they flew into a retention pond in Pasco County, Florida. I stopped for just a few minutes and took the photos when I saw that these ducks looked much lighter, whiter in overall coloring than the numerous Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal in the pond. The photos were taken approx. 80 meters from the birds with a 30X point and shoot camera.
In checking several field guides I could only match up the face patterns with Garganey. The feathers on the back also have white edges that Sibley points out only on Garganey in his guide. Several English birders have looked at these photos and are split on Garganey or other teal species. I am undecided on whether to submit these to the Florida Records Committee.
The two photos and close ups are on my Flicker page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15183268@N05/

Ken Tracey
New Port Richey, Florida

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]