From: WRWPGW@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:37:26 -0500
Subject: Green Violet-ear at Naples Conservancy
To: info@audubonswfl.org
CC: WRWPGW@aol.com

Dear Sir:

As a birder from Ohio visiting friends in Naples, I had a great visit to the Conservancy this past Saturday, Nov. 18. At about 9:45 that morning we saw a hummingbird visit the flowering tree next to the gazebo in front of the hawk cages. It was a large hummingbird, bigger than Rufous, Anna's or Ruby-throated. It had a two note high pitched call. I saw a black beak, (downcurved), and green, blue and buff coloration overall. The two photos attached show it in the middle of the flowering tree, facing away, with green coloration on the back, buff on the flank, a squared off tail, and a light cheek patch. I thought the light cheek patch was due to refraction, as I did not see it as white when I observed it through my binoculars. In the photo I noticed the wings are shorter than the tail. I ruled out Magnificant Hummingbird because of its overall black appearance and that the wings at rest are as long as its tail. My educated guess is that it was a Green Violet-ear Hummingbird. Has anyone else seen this hummingbird? Can anyone identify it in the attached two photos? (One is an enlargement of the other.)

The original photo, although poor in quality and distant, was taken as a NEF file and converted to the attached jpeg files. I used a Nikon D70s camera and a 300 mm lens.

Sincerely,

Wayne Wauligman
wrwpgw at AOL.com

ps. I sent this e-mail to the Conservancy but there has been no reply so far.

As I said, these are large image files so a DSL line or fast connection is helpful. Comments as to posible ID of this hummingbird would be most appreciated.

Thanks and here's wishing everyone a Happy Turkey Day tomorrow!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]