Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:31:30 -0500
From: Bill Whan
Subject: Species not protected by law
To: "ohio-birds@envirolink.org"

Fish & Wildlife just published the list of bird species found in the US that are *not* protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. These are regarded as non-native birds all of whose US populations are introduced. There are 125 of them, but of special interest to readers of this list might be those that have a place on the ABA list: mute swan, rock pigeon, spotted dove, Eurasian collared-dove, and spot-breasted oriole. The ABA regards these five as non-native species with established viable populations here. Species on this list that spent some time on the ABA list but are now missing include ringed turtle-dove and blue-gray tanager.
The most important change--after much contentious argument--is the addition of mute swan. It is the only species on the list that once was protected by the MBTA. Its change in status will, among other things, allow easier employment of lethal controls of this species.This list does not of course comprise all the bird species whose protections are less than complete. Entire families also go unprotected by the treaty, including pheasants, quails, and doves, parrots, bulbuls, starlings, and Old World sparrows (e.g., house sparrow). And of course there are many exceptions to the Act's taking and possession rules, for the many game species of course, for scientific collecting, for population controls by licensed individuals, etc. But I'm already in over my head. The complete list accompanying the 2004 revision of the MBTA was recently posted at
http://www.fws.gov/policy/library/05-5127.html and interpretive material is supplied.

Bill Whan
Columbus

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]