Re: PB: Loxahatchee NWR weekly Wednesday birdwalk

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Schofield on 16:53:30 03/25/11

Steve Fox wrote on 21:03:11 03/24/11:

> What spot is the Snail Kite's "usual spot"? I'm
> assuming along those front canals/impoundments.

The Snail Kites have been seen regularly in the LILA impoundments directly west of C8 and C9. The photo included in this posting gives you the general idea (as well as locations of Sora, Red-shouldered Hawk nest, and Great Horned Owl). The link below will bring you to a full page, printable map of the same image.

You might also want to check out the recently opened Wellington Environmental Preserve on Flying Cow Rd off of Southern Blvd. There were tons of Limpkins and Snail Kites there all three times that I've visited.

> Also, are the Smooth Billed Ani's still around
> LOX road?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that. The one time that I tried, we couldn't find them and two of the regular birders at Loxahatchee who saw the Anis have left to go north so I can't ask them.

Good luck, Steve.

Rick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TAS BirdBoard ] [ FAQ ]